You’ve decided to make your own healthy pizza from scratch- yay!
But you’re scratching your head in confusion and heading to the supermarket to look for a pre-made pizza base you can use. Noooo!!!!
Stop right there! There’s no need to undo much of your healthy eating intentions just because you’ve never made pizza base from scratch before, you’re short on time or you’re just scared it will all go horribly wrong.
It’s far easier to make your own delicious pizza base than you’ve ever imagined and it’s a lot of fun too.
Taking just 10 minutes of prep time, you can walk away for a hour or two and return to find springy, light and delicious dough ready to shape into the yummiest pizza bases ever. At least, that’s what my 8 year old son thinks!
Here’s the recipe.
- 500g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon instant dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 330ml water approx. (ever so slightly warm- more on that later!)
- Start by weighing out your flour into a big bowl, and then adding the yeast and the salt. Give it a quick mix.
- Next boil a small amount of water in the kettle and add to a measuring jug. Top up with cold water until the temperature roughly feels the same as your hand. THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT- if the water is too cold, the yeast won’t work, and if it’s too hot, you’ll just kill the yeast. Pour away any excess water until you have 330ml.
- Slowly add the water to your flour mixture, stirring well as you do so. At one point, it will get so thick that you can’t stir any more. That means it’s time to get your hands dirty! Continue to mix, pulling everything together until a ball of dough forms.
- Tip the dough onto a floured work surface and gently knead until it gets light, smooth to the touch and springs back quickly when you place your finger onto it.
- Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel or (reusable) piece of plastic and leave to prove for 90 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the temperature of the room. If it’s cooler, you’ll need more time and if it’s warmer, you’ll need less. You want your dough to more or less double in size.
- Voila- it’s done! To cook, you can either cut, roll out and press onto a greased baking tray before adding your toppings, or you can follow my father’s pre-cook method (see below).
- Precook method: Cut the dough into six equally-sized pieces, then one by one, roll out flat using a rolling pin and plenty of flour to prevent sticking. Meanwhile, warm a large non-stick frying pan/wok/paella pan with a tiny drop of oil. When the dough is at the size you want, pop into the pan and gently cook for a few minutes until bubbles have sprung up and it’s nice and brown. Flip over and repeat on the other side, then remove and place to one side. Repeat with the remaining dough. Done!
This pizza base recipe is an absolute winner- I’ve used it for years now and we continue to enjoy it on a weekly basis. I hope you love it too.
LOVE THIS? Follow me on Twitter for more recipes, travel, health and adventure info