This heavenly artisan rosemary focaccia will make your break your ‘diet’ and fill your tummy with amazing, fresh, home-cooked bread goodness. Perfect with a bowl of healthy veggie and lentil soup or as part of an easy, inexpensive lunch.
It’s really simple to make, my son LOVES the crunchy toasted rosemary leaves on top and it’s impressive enough for a family gathering or something slightly more formal. Here’s how to make it.
Makes: 12 generous pieces
- 500g flour
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 330ml hand-hot water
- Fresh rosemary, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing.
- Place the flour into your bowl and add the dried yeast and the salt. Make sure these two stay separate at the beginning.
- Now mix together, and slowly add the water.
- Stir well with your hand until a dough forms (warning- this bit can get messy so beware if you don’t like sticky hands!)
- Now tip onto your work surface and knead well for around ten minutes until it turns into a smooth and soft dough. (But honestly, I rarely knead for a whole ten minutes- I’ve made so much bread over the years that I know when it’s ready to prove.)
- Cover with a clean tea towel and leave for 90mins until double in size. Keep it our of draughts and directly sunlight for this time.
- Meanwhile, grease a large roasting tin with oil and set to one side.
- When your dough is looking good, tip back onto a well-floured surface and roll out until it will fit your tin.
- Place into the tin, stretching well to fit and pushing your fingers into the surface to create that dimpled effect. Cover again and leave for a further 30 mintes-1 hour.
- Remove the tea towel, brush the surface of the dough with olive oil, cover with as much fresh rosemary as you like, sprinkle with sea salt then place in the middle of your oven.
- Turn the oven on to 220C and bake for 15 minutes, then check. Remove from the tin and bake for a further 5-10 minutes until nice and crispy underneath. You might want to adjust timings depending on your oven- we have an electric non-fan oven which cooks from beneath.
- Serve and enjoy!